What's New, Pussycat? - Frances Murphy


 

I thought and thought and thought about the call for "The Way We Were".  At first, all I could think about was the Barbara Streisand/Robert Redford movie and I couldn't get that song out of my head!  Then I started analyzing what "The Way We Were" meant to me as an artist.  I have always loved the graphics style of the early 1960's.  It seemed to permeate every facet of our culture:  Television (i.e., "The Jetsons"), movies ("What's New, Pussycat?"), magazines, billboards, fashion, furniture, home and business decor.  In America, our culture was teetering on the edge of a new world.  We were in the Atomic Age, we were in a cold war with Russia, we lived through the Cuban missile crisis, the possibility of nuclear war was very, very real, and we were dealing with segregation, racial cruelty, and race riots. The post-World War II world was quickly changing, and our popular culture was about to be blasted again by the Vietnam war and the social revolution of the mid-1960's.  The "innocent sophistication" of the early 1960's popular culture was about to disappear.


Fances Murphy


Comments